Monday, October 27, 2014

Day 72 - #68

"A good general doesn't show off his power.
A good warrior doesn't get angry.
A good conqueror doesn't attack people.
A good employer puts himself below his
employees.

This is called the power of noncontention.
This is called using the strength of others.
This is called perfect emulation of heaven."

As a teacher, especially of such diverse students, I do what some might view as an ironic thing: I defer to them. I try to meet them in their needs so that they feel not only helped, but also valued. Some of them are not used to that. I don't fit their authoritarian view of teaching, so they don't take me seriously. In deference I've learned not to take myself too seriously. It's good, because I listen to them instead of to the sound of my own voice; I get curious instead of judgmental or angry; I choose my words with care, not only so that they will listen, but also so that they will understand, and want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment