Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Day 52 - #25

"Something mysterious and perfect existed
before even heaven and earth were born.
Silent, immeasurable,
standing alone and unchanging,
moving without end of exhaustion,
it is the mother of the known and unknown
universe.
I don't know its name, so I call it by
an alias: Tao.
Forced to describe it, I only say, 'It is great.'

That which is great continues.
That which continues goes far.
That which goes far returns.

Therefore Tao is great,
heaven is great,
earth is great,
a person of Tao is great.
These are the four greatnesses in the universe.

A person of Tao follows earth.
Earth follows heaven.
Heaven follows Tao.
Tao follows its own nature."

In my life, I have continued. I have gone far. I have returned. I wouldn't dare to suggest that any of this makes me great; Indeed I struggle even to let God guide me as He wills.

I wonder sometimes what was in the mind of God when He created the world. It reminds me of a Turkish church service I attended once, where my friend Barbara sat by me and translated into my ear what the preacher was saying, "The God Who created the heavens and the earth is the same God Who loves you. Do realize that?"

"Do you realize that?" says my still, small voice.

"No," I say, "I am pathetic before my Lord and my God."

And yet I continue. I go far. I return again and again.

Pathetic I may be, but I know I will come to my reward in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment