Friday, October 3, 2014

Day 48 - #17

"The best leader is one whose existence
is barely known.
Next best is one who is loved and praised.
Next is one who is feared.
Worst of all is a leader who is despised.

If you fail to trust people,
they won't turn out to be trustworthy.

Therefore, guide others by quietly relying on Tao.
Then, when the work is done, the people can say,
'We did this ourselves.'"

I know this is the kind of teacher I strive to be. I think most of my students misunderstand and misuse the respect I have for them. Perhaps they despise me because I actually don't try to teach them anything; I only can facilitate their learning. Maybe some people think it's the same thing, but I think of the latter as a discovery together; I tell my students, "I can't give you the answer, but I can help you find it." I treat them like they'd know already if only they'd persevere in the searching. Not all of them are willing to do that, or they think they've already found all they need, and so they resent me. That can be hard to get past, but every day that I work, I have a new opportunity.

I know this is the kind of parent I want to be, giving my child space to make mistakes: Giving him (or her) directions, not answers; options, not orders; responsibilities, not restrictions.

I think the reason I struggle with my faith in God is that I've always had so little faith in myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment