Thursday, October 9, 2014

Day 54 - #53

"Because I have a little wisdom,
I choose to walk the great path of Tao
and fear nothing except to stray from it.

The great way is very smooth and easy,
but some people are fond of getting sidetracked.

When a ruler's palace is full of treasure,
the people's fields are weedy and
their granaries are empty.
If the ruler wears fancy clothes and
his house is full of weapons,
if his table is laden with extravagant
food and drink and everywhere one
looks he has more wealth than
he can use, the ruler is a
robber and a thief.
This is not in keeping with Tao."

Poverty does not intimidate me. Perhaps this is because, although I've had my brushes with it, I've never felt its grind. Perhaps because of that, in turn, I've made a choice to live modestly and simply, not asking for the best of everything, but asking for enough. And being willing to wait to get it.

Not knowing what is enough is painful, and scary, especially when I feel I still have so much of life before me, but I trust enough to find out. I trust enough to hope for and dream of the best for me. It's what's kept me going all my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment