Saturday, October 18, 2014

Day 63 - #50

"Between their births and their deaths,
three out of ten are attached to life,
three out of ten are attached to death,
three out of ten are just idly passing through.
Only one knows how to die and stay dead
and still go on living.

That one hasn't any ambitions,
hasn't any ideas, makes no plans.
From this mysterious place of not-knowing
and not doing he gives birth to whatever
is needed in the moment.
Because he is constantly filling his being
with nonbeing, he can travel the wilds
without worrying about tigers or wild
buffalo, or he can cross a battlefield
without armor or weapon.

No tiger can claw him.
No buffalo can gore him.
No weapon can pierce him.

Why is this so?
Because he has died, there isn't any more
room for death in him."

Throughout my life, I have fought my attachment to death. That much should be clear from everything I've written here already. How not to idle, how not to live for life alone, that is a question and a mystery. A friend of mine says that, rather than live each day as if it were your last, live as if you would for a hundred years.

I like that: Stamina. Endurance. I know mine comes from Jesus. I pray only that I don't use it to fight Him, too. The temptation is mighty, the confusion is great, but the truth triumphs over all.

No comments:

Post a Comment