Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Day 60 - #3

"When praise is lavished upon the famous,
the people contend and compete with one another.
When exotic goods are traded and treasured,
the compulsion to steal is felt.
When desires are constantly stimulated,
people become disturbed and confused.

Therefore, the wise person sets an example by
emptying her mind,
opening her heart,
relaxing her ambitions,
relinquishing her desires,
cultivating her character.
Having conquered her own cunning and cravings,
she can't be manipulated by anyone.

Do by not-doing.
Act with nonaction.
Allow order to arise of itself."

In choir at college we sang a song with the verse, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee."  This and, "Wait Thou Only Upon God," formed an anthem for my younger years. Yet despite my willingness and natural patience, I never seemed to wait on my own behalf without some measure of resentment, fear, or shame. "Good things happen for others, not for me," I told myself as I stood by, watching. "That means I must be doing something wrong."

I've spun my wheels for years now trying to figure out what that something might be. I'm ready to stop now.


No comments:

Post a Comment