Friday, October 17, 2014

Day 62 - #78

"Nothing under heaven is as
soft and yielding as water.
Yet for attacking the hard and strong,
nothing can compare with it.

The weak overcomes the strong.
The soft overcomes the hard.
Everyone knows this, but none
have the ability to practice it.

Therefore the sage says:
One who accepts the dung of the nation
becomes the master of soil and sustenance.
One who deals with the evils of the nation
becomes king under heaven.

True words seem paradoxical."

Somehow I've still never been able to reconcile the notion of free will with the acceptance of suffering. Perhaps that's why I was so relieved some weeks ago when I heard a homily about the call we have to alleviate suffering when-and-however we can. In my life I struggle with how to do that confidently. How do I know I won't make a mistake that will, instead, add to one's suffering? This is the infamous "trying to help." I do everything I can to help where it is needed, but I've learned to start by asking. When I hear, "no," or, indeed, nothing at all, it can be difficult to let go, but in doing so and moving on, I follow Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment