Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Day 39 - #47

"Without going out the door,
you can know the world.
Without looking out the window,
you can see heaven.

The farther you travel, the less you know.
Thus the wise person knows without traveling,
understands without seeing,
accomplishes without acting."

People often ask me why I didn't travel more when I was living in Frankfurt. For one thing, I was busy. I usually worked six days a week. I had friends and church and language classes. Plus, I was just genuinely curious about how and why I had ended up in this particular place at this particular time. I wrote a lot; I reflected; I prayed; I dreamed.

People often ask me why I didn't get involved in more things when I was in college. After all, I was smart, I was sociable, I was fun; I was not without talent. But I was busy. I had classes and choir and friends and church. I was pursuing a time-consuming major. Plus, I was just genuinely curious--hopeful and fearful--about what my future would hold. I wrote a lot; I reflected; I prayed; I dreamed.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that I have ended up pursuing Tao in this way; almost without knowing it, I always have sought to quiet myself and calm my activities in order to find my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment