Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Day 18 - #12

"The five colors blind the eye.
The five tones deafen the ear.
The five flavors overwhelm the palate.

Fancy things get in the way of one's growth.
Racing here and there
hunting for this and that--
Good ways to madden your mind, that's all.

Relinquish what is without.
Cultivate what is within.
Live for your center, not your senses."

Often, for me, what's within is just as overwhelming as what's without, if not more so. Finding rest then is like tearing my soul in two. But the separation can bring everything back together once I understand what's caused the rift. Sometimes there's something inside it, like a geode. That's always a surprise. Joy hides in the madness.

When I look within, I wonder what's the secret. I feel far away from it, as from "the blue water" at the beach when I was little. Always striving for something more, something further, pushing, fretting.

Now I'm learning to be quiet, to wait and trust. It's difficult, but there is nothing more important, especially now.

As my mother always says, "In time, all will be revealed." I'm afraid of knowing everything, but I think in the knowing is the letting go. In the letting go are the blossom and the fruit, the death and rebirth, the stillness and peace of eternal rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment