Saturday, June 6, 2020

14. Their Mysterious Origin

"Did your children really begin
with the union of your bodies?
Or is their origin more mysterious?

Eternal
means no time,
no beginning,
no end.
Do your children,
who visit you in time,
really reside in eternity?

If you try to grasp them,
they slip away.
They are more than what you see and hear and
feel.
They belong somewhere else
and only visit here.
So why do you worry?

If the Tao is good, it is completely good,
and your children are safe regardless of appearances.
I believed that when my son was struggling with
problems.
I believe it now when he is a handsome, content
adult.
I will believe it if future trouble visits his life.
I believe it."

Two basic things come to mind here, and I'm not sure I could put them any better. First, from the Psalms: "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble," and, from Paul's letter to the Romans, "If God is for us, who can be against us?" Child-rearing requires trust. In my case, it took a long time to build, because before my daughter came along, I lost two babies.  Through all of that I felt I must see my children only in eternity. Now that at least one is here to stay awhile, I feel I owe her my open hands as well as my open heart. She is entrusted to my care only, not mine so much as God's and her own. To recognize and celebrate that is a gift, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment