Monday, June 29, 2020

37. Encourage Natural Desires

"Don't be misled.
God has no desires.
How could that which contains All,
want for anything else?
Yet all true desires
have their fulfillment in God.

Your children will face natural,
and unnatural
desires.
All natural desires
are naturally fulfilled.
Those who chase unnatural desires
will never find rest.
If you can help your children distinguish
between these two,
they will live contented, happy lives.

We all naturally desire to love and be loved,
to belong, to dance and sing,
to find and to live our bliss.
Show your children that these desires
will find their satisfaction
in the natural unfolding of things.

This is a difficult task
for those of us who have been trained
to support the economy
by remaining continuously unsatisfied.
Our children hear far more advertising hours
each and every week,
than they hear our own voice in a month.
Can you show them by their own actions
how true happiness can be found
in loving, living, and dancing?"

I grew up yearning for the great depth and breadth of life, so that into adulthood I reached far and sought bravely that which I thought I was supposed to want. As I learned to let all of that go, I learned also to simplify, looking more deeply into myself and my immediate surroundings so that I would know true satisfaction. I'm still not quite there yet, but I'm discovering the real value of my life's struggle and striving, which begets a natural desire all its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment