Sunday, June 7, 2020

15. Be Alert and Mindful

"If you would be a wise parent
be careful of all you do and say.
Know that each action,
each word
has its effect.
Be alert and mindful,
living fully in each present moment.
Treat your children with courtesy
as you would treat a guest.
Be ready in a moment
to let go of one plan
and embark on another
if your inner voice so urges.
Have room within your heart
to hear the voice of both
your children
and your own spirit.
Do not expect fulfillment
from events or people
outside yourself.
Welcome and accept
things as they are.
Welcome and accept
children as they are.

Treat yourself with gentle care.
These qualities emerge naturally,
not by force of will."

I've realized even in these early days that parenting is good practice not giving a fuck: What people think, what they do in response to the best parenting I can give/do in a particular moment, what happens to any material object or space as long as my daughter is safe at any given time. This is not to say I'm not teaching her to respect her home or things; quite the contrary, I am hopeful that I can help her embrace the freedom to enjoy, appreciate, and learn from what's been given to her. In this sense, parenting also gives me practice at my intuition, not only in the stereotypical motherly way, but also in a way of deep, unwavering self-knowledge. If I can approach and guide my daughter with confidence, I can model strength of character as well as self-concept. Even in my own faltering I can teach her resilience. I am grateful for the hard-won strength to do so. I know I will need to keep cultivating it, so I can share it with her.


No comments:

Post a Comment