Monday, June 15, 2020

23. No Mixed Messages

"Natural parents do not give mixed messages.
When they are angry, their children see their anger
and learn it is not to be feared.
When they are sad, their children see their sadness
and learn it can be borne.
When the difficult feelings pass there is no residue.
Their relationship with their children remains
pure and uncontaminated.

It is terribly difficult to parent naturally.
We have learned to repress,
modify, and distrust
our natural responses
until we can barely recognize them.
Of course you should not 'dump'
your repressed feelings upon your children.
But you can begin to feel them yourself
and become a friend of your own nature.

This will enable you to express yourself,
appropriately and mindfully, to your children.
There will be less and less hidden agenda
and the fresh air will cleanse everyone."

Self-acceptance has helped me understand that I can still express myself fully, even when I am not being listened to or heard. Through self-awareness in my expression, I can stay accountable to and in integrity with myself. To me this is essential to recognizing the self of my daughter, and differentiating herself from my own self. There is no "we" unless my daughter and I are both whole and in our fullness with each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment