Wednesday, June 3, 2020

10. As They Are

"When you are with their children
be one with them.
Let every part of your body relax
and become as supple as your child's.
Allow all expectations and anxieties to melt away
so that you can see clearly.
Love them as they are
in this very moment,
without needing to change a thing.

When their lives are filled with trouble
allow events to unfold
without pushing or straining,
and you will understand clearly
what your role should be,

You nourish them without possessing them.
You guide them without controlling.
You help them without worrying.

Being with your children can be like meditating.
When you are with your child next,
forget the past,
forget the future,
and let your mind and heart come
to be where your body is."

Notions like this must be why parents often say they love watching their children sleep. I do, too, but I find myself in an interesting cycle of longing about it. Some nights she's up late, or wakes up early wanting to play. At times like that, like most parents, I imagine, I wish she'd sleep a little longer. But then, at other times--like days of long naps and growth spurts--I just can't wait for her to wake up again.

Either way, I know I am with her. Either way, I know I always will be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment