Monday, June 22, 2020

29. The Very Energy of the Universe

"Your children are not mere lumps of clay
waiting for your expert hands.
They are the very energy of the universe
and will become what they will become.
They are sacred beings.
If you tamper with them
you will make everyone miserable.

They will find success,
and failure.
They will be happy,
and sad.
They will delight you,
and disappoint you.
They will be safe,
and at great risk.
They will live,
and they will die.

Stay at the center of your own soul.
There is nothing else you can do.

My son almost lost his life as a teenager.
There was nothing I could do.
I remember accepting that he might die.
I cried for hours.
I got up and returned to my life and to my loves.
Years later, he is a happy, strong, wonderful young
man--
all because of his choices,
not mine."

All my daughter's experiences will be her own. Even the ones we share together will have different layers, takes, narratives, and perspectives. Our memories, impressions, and feelings will differ. As I accept my daughter, I also accept her life--as it is and will be, not as I wish it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment