Tuesday, June 30, 2020

38. No Need for Force

"Strong parents have no need
to bully and coerce their children.
Weak parents push and shove,
yell and hit,
and still have no power at all.

If good behavior is demanded of children,
without a reservoir of goodness for supply,
nothing is gained.
If religion is preached to children
as external forms
and dogmatic beliefs,
emptiness results.

Wise parents know
that deep within their children
is a free spirit and a goodness
that need not be forced,
only watered
and encouraged.

Don't be deceived
when your children's behavior
seems bad or immoral.
This is not their true nature.
You will not change them
by the force of your will.
Force on your part
will only cloud the issue.
If you were to let go of expectations,
and let yourself be at peace,
what would your children see?"

In my life I have had to let go of a lot. Except in the most essential ways my life has turned out nothing like I thought it would. I'm grateful that I took the liberty of imagining it so many different ways, so that eventually I would be able to leave my disappointment for curiosity. Perhaps this is why I've managed to approach parenting with a fairly open heart. I'm grateful for rather than skeptical about articles I see on the Internet with titles like, "10 Ways Your Toddler Seems to Be Acting Out, But Isn't." I feel hopeful rather than afraid when  I try an activity, communication, or concept with my daughter that doesn't seem to work. If I can show her how I'm gentle with myself, maybe she will learn to be gentle with herself, too. If I can teach her how to be resourceful, neither of us will need to fear whatever may befall her. Just now I believe that "reservoir of goodness for supply," is resilience not only built, but also practiced.


No comments:

Post a Comment