Thursday, June 4, 2020

12. A Quiet Place

"Constant stimulation
of your children's senses
creates insensitivity.
They see so much they become blind.
They hear so much they become deaf.
They taste so much they become nauseated.
They desire so much they become forever
unsatisfied.

They do not come to know
that which truly satisfies.

It will be hard to create a quiet place
where your children can find their souls.
You must first quiet your own world
and then approach theirs.
They are accustomed
to the barrage of noise
and will complain loudly in its absence.
But you can find a quiet way.
What can you do today?
A walk?
A book?
A simple game?"

I love reading to my daughter, but I haven't done a whole lot of it yet. I love playing with her, but I also love sitting back and watching her play. I might wish to be with her every waking moment, but I also want her to feel confident and comfortable being on her own or with others. I'd like to give her choices, so she learns to make them. As she learns to control herself, she'll learn to trust herself, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment