Sunday, June 14, 2020

21. The Hidden Mystery of Their Being

"Although you give your children names,
their reality is nameless and mysterious.
Their mystery is hidden,
yet plain to see.
It disappears when you stare at it.
It hides when you seek it.
To find it you must look into yourself.
If you can discover the secret of your own life,
you will glimpse the mystery of your children.

Though this mystery cannot be described,
it can be trusted.
You can trust it in yourself.
You can trust it in your children.
How do I know this?
I see it everywhere.

Imagine yourself as a child.
There was someone present there
your parents never knew,
a mystery they could not fathom.
Look at your children closely.
You will never know the mystery of their being.
Can you love them still?"

At this point I think I love my daughter for her mystery: How much she says, how little I yet comprehend; all the steps of her life's path yet to be laid out or taken. As I watch her discover everything, I reflect on the growth I have experienced in embracing my own mystery, and I am grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment