Wednesday, June 3, 2020

11. The Still Point

"A wheel spins in a circle.
The still point at the center
gives it direction,
Be still.
And your children will see
the way ahead.

A pot has beautiful sides.
The emptiness inside
makes it useful.
Empty yourself of agenda
and you will be available
for your children.

A good house has strong walls.
The space within the walls
makes it a home.
Create space within your heart
and your children
will always rest secure.

Suggesting, guiding, teaching and lecturing,
although well intentioned,
often creates confusion rather than clarity.
Are you filling the air with good advice
and helpful strategies
when you should be still, empty, and spacious?"

A very wise mom of 5 I know once told me about how, very early on in her parenting, she would take everything her kids did as some kind of reflection on her. Over time, however, she learned that, in her words, "kids do things because they're kids," and that most of what they do shouldn't be taken personally. In reflecting on this over my own long road to motherhood, I have become determined to provide for my daughter in such a way that she has all the space she needs to be all of who she is. In the course of my life--as a friend, sister, teacher, activist, servant, wife, and now mom--I have striven to hold space for everyone I meet. I now get to do that in such a special way for my daughter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment