Saturday, April 28, 2018

Seventy-One

"The transformation toward eternal life is gradual.
The heavy, gross energy of body, mind, and spirit
must first be purified and uplifted.
When the energy ascends to the subtle level, then
self-mastery can be taught.

A wise instructor teaches the powerful principles of
self-integration only to those who have already
achieved a high level of self-purification and
self-mastery.
In addition, all proper teaching follow the law of
energy response: the most effective method is always
that to which the student's natural energy most
harmoniously responds.
For one, celibacy and self-cultivation will be
appropriate; for another, properly guided dual
cultivation will derive the greatest benefit.
A discerning teacher will determine the proper balance
of practices for each individual.

In any case, know that all teachers and techniques are
only transitional: true realization comes from the
direct merger of one's being with the divine energy
of the Tao."

I sometimes find it so reassuring that we have our whole lives to work toward our goals. On the other hand, since none of us knows while we live how long our whole lives will be, perhaps the best approach is the one Toni Morrison's character takes in Beloved: "Today is always here. Tomorrow, never." I like the way a friend of mine puts it best. He says, "I don't want to live every day as if it's my last; I want to live as if I'll live for a hundred years." I have learned, slowly, that building toward the future is the best gift I can give. It may not be a future I see, but it will be the future for someone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment