Sunday, April 8, 2018

Fifty-Three

"True understanding in a person has two attributes:
awareness and action.
Together they can form a natural tai chi.

Who can enjoy enlightenment and remain indifferent
to suffering in the world?
This is not in keeping with the Way.
Only those who can increase their service along with their
understanding can be called men and women of
Tao."

When I was teaching, my students would tend to ask me about my "knowledge" of English, and what "knowledge" they needed in order to pass their exams, achieve certain skills, or be successful. In response to this, I always tried to show them what they had to do with what I (and I would hope they, now) know. It was exhausting, but it also taught me how to bring the two attributes together in myself. I certainly never do both all the time, as hard as I try. Sometimes it is enough to be aware of a problem one can't solve on one's own. Sometimes the actions one wishes to take are premature. While I was receiving spiritual direction many years ago, my spiritual director helped me solve this dilemma by keeping one simple thought in mind, "People do the best they can with what they have." I am still learning to develop and share the awareness I have respectfully. I am still learning to discern how, and when, to act on that awareness. But I know I now always have the willingness to do both, and most of my work in the world these days has to do with encouraging that willingness in others. At least, that's what I hope for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment