Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Twenty-One

"Each moment is fragile and fleeting.
The moment of the past cannot be kept, however
beautiful.
The moment of the present cannot be held, however
enjoyable.
The moment of the future cannot be caught, however
desirable.

But the mind is desperate to fix the river in place:
Possessed by ideas of the past, preoccupied with
images of the future, it overlooks the plain truth of
the moment.

The one who can dissolve her mind will suddenly
discover the Tao at her feet, and clarity at hand."

Having been blessed (possessed?) with a good memory, I sometimes wonder what purpose the memories serve. Now I think I choose to let mine anchor me in the reality of my everyday life. What I remember helps me integrate my experience, see the bigger picture, and work toward the purpose I discern. Even the painful memories serve this, which is difficult, but I am grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment