Saturday, March 17, 2018

Thirty-Two

"The ego says that the world is vast, and that the
particles which form it are tiny.
When tiny particles join, it says, the vast world
appears.
When the vast world disperses, it says, tiny particles
appear.

The ego is entranced by all these names and ideas, but
the subtle truth is that the world and particle are the
same; neither one vast, neither one tiny.
Every thing is equal to every other thing.
Names and concepts only block your perception of the
Great Oneness.
Therefore it is wise to ignore them.
Those who live inside their egos are continually
bewildered: they struggle
frantically to know
whether things are large or small,
whether or not there is a purpose
to joining or dispersing,
whether the universe is blind and mechanical or the
divine creation of a conscious being.

In reality there are no grounds for having beliefs or
making comments about such things.
Look behind them instead, and you will discern the
deep, silent, complete truth of the Tao.
Embrace it, and your bewilderment vanishes."

I used to concern myself extensively with the purpose of my life and my place in the world. I now understand that both of these, along with almost everything else, can change and evolve over time. It's so refreshing to my spirit that my identity is not fixed. I may have a certain amount of privilege in saying this, but I am no stranger to the fight against other people's fixed perceptions of my identity. All of it has made me more flexible, more determined, and more aware.

No comments:

Post a Comment