Wednesday, July 15, 2020

53. Don't Make It Harder Than It Needs to Be

"Everyone wants to be a wise parent
but few choose this path.
This is unfortunate
for it is an easy path,
filled with joy
and with many rewards.
But it is easy to become sidetracked.
Distractions are everywhere.
As the external pressures mount
be sure to notice what occurs.

Do you pursue career advancement
while your children choose harmful paths?
Do you buy expensive toys
to medicate your feelings
while your children become
lost in the clutter?
Do you sink into depression
while your children hunger for joy?

Don't make parenting harder than it needs to be.
It only requires focus.
Worry is not focus.
Attempting to control is not focus.
Distracting yourself is not focus.
Relaxed, non-fretful, attention
to what is in front of you
right now,
is focus.
What is in front of you right now?
No, not your worries or frets,
what is right here,
right now?"

I have found that once I got the process down, caring for my daughter is surprisingly uncomplicated. I'm sure that will change as she grows and she continues to bring her own evolving complexity into the relationship. As this happens I hope I can remember that parenting is not a one-way street. It doesn't happen to my daughter. It's something I do with her, by her side, and she by mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment