Thursday, July 9, 2020

47. Providing For

"Your children will make many demands
upon your time and energy.
'Do this for us.
Buy this for us.'
They believe that these things
are what they want from you.
And you may begin
to believe it too.

But what they really want
is your innermost heart,
given in vulnerable, honest love.
This is not given
by doing or buying.
The more you do,
the less gets done.
The more you buy,
the less you have.
But if you reveal
your true nature,
you provide them everything.

Of course there are times,
when I do for my children.
It is often my great pleasure.
But the things remembered,
the treasured moments
of sacred time,
have occurred
in the quiet
of gentle conversation,
and honest sharing."

Fast approaching midlife I have so few of what a friend of mine calls, "the makers and the markers": No house of my own, no car for me to drive myself, savings enough only to cover emergencies. And yet, somehow, it's always enough. I have always tried hard to do what I think is the right thing, and to learn when I discover that what I thought was right turns out to be wrong. In this balance I strive to strike, I often feel that I may have less, but I am more. Being willing to let go makes room in my heart and life for the experiences that will truly enrich me.



No comments:

Post a Comment