Monday, August 29, 2016

Numbers

"One gives birth to two, two gives birth to three,
Three gives birth to the ten thousand.
One hundred and eight counts make one cycle,
Constant turning creates all things."

I have not learned enough yet to know exactly why there is a whole book of the Bible titled after these, and my relationship with the world of numbers has always been tenuous; numerical and spatial relationships seem lost somewhere in the damaged recesses of my brain. But as signifiers, as signs, they help me: To remember things, to pace myself. As I expand my life to include a book idea of my own and another potential new venture, or two, I'm learning to trust them more freely, to understand them more clearly, to work with them more confidently.  They, too, are part of creation and creativity.


No comments:

Post a Comment