Wednesday, November 11, 2020

60. Growing a Garden

 "Dealing with difficult children

is like watching a garden grow.

Resist the temptation

to pull up the plants

to check on the roots.


In difficult times

children may thrive on conflict.

If you take the bait

the battle rages.

Instead step back, 

breathe deeply,

relax,

and stay at your center.

Battles require two parties.

One fighting alone soon tires.


Are there times when,

despite all efforts,

you must impose your will?

Of course.

But remember,

those times are far fewer

than you can imagine.

Is this current battle really necessary?"


I think the best thing I can do for my daughter is learn to respect her struggle. As a toddler it's her job to push boundaries and try to understand where they are or should be. When something she does upsets or provokes me, I try to remember that I, not she, am the difficult child. Rather than giving into the difficulty, I want to cultivate it and share my strength with her, so she can feel secure.


No comments:

Post a Comment