Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Sweeping

"Gold dawn disk edges purple cliffs.
Old woman bends to sweep temple steps.
She bathes each stone with loving care.
How many worshipers think of her work?"

At the parish I attended in Frankfurt, I remember the pastor often inviting us to reflect on our favorite images of Jesus, or our own ways of imagining Him. One he returned to again and again, citing the verse I chose for today, was Jesus as the chambermaid--as someone who lovingly waits and makes ready for us.

To me this was always exceptionally sweet and surprising, not only because of the obvious gender-bending at play, but also because, from what little I know of a certain period of my grandma's life before she became my grandma, she worked for a short time as a chambermaid at the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego. I was blessed to see in her ever after a model of loving and devoted service--one I understood as so very Christlike whenever I heard the pastor's message.

No comments:

Post a Comment