Saturday, February 4, 2017

Style

"An old man sits on a granite step.
He plucks a treasured guitar.
The strings throb with feeling;
He needs no audience to open his heart.

A boy enthusiastically wants to learn his style.
'Style?' asks the man slowly. 'My style is made of
The long road of life, of heartbreak
And joy, and people loved, and loneliness.
Of war and its atrocities.
Of a baby born.
Of burying parents and friends.
My scale is the seven stars of the dipper
The hollow of my guitar is the space between heaven and earth.
How can I show you my style?
You have your own young life.'"

I think this is the best reminder that whatever I do, I must do with authenticity. That requires nothing if not humility. The combination invites me to make the most of every small step, joy, and opportunity, and to greet the unexpected with hope and curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment