Monday, February 6, 2017

Modesty

"Have you ever had a knot in your shoelace?
You have to bend down to untie it."

I think the pursuit of humility should be natural: Not a matter of outward show, but a cultivation of inner attitudes and sparks to action. True modesty will manifest itself in self-expression--not in how one holds back or stifles oneself, but in how one values oneself.

I learned this in a spiritual direction encounter one time. The nun I was working with told me I had a very good self-image. I had never thought about it before, and felt a little embarrassed. Then I realized she was right, because I should. The standards I hold should keep me humble and modest, not serve to inflate me. The goodness in the self-image stands when my own view is balanced. As I continue to face challenges, I can serve infinitely better if I give due recognition to my own growth in grace to meet them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment