Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Balance

"Summer withered grass to flaxen yellow,
Scorched leaves to brittle paper,
Dried lakes to cracked clay.
Chill autumn brought little relief--
Only frosted the devastation.
But with the early gentle rains,
The earth's fissures softened
And desiccated plants began to dissolve.
Slowly, balance comes once again."

I believe God wants for us to discern His hand in all things, and the patterns he has set in place. Because there are patterns, it's not always so easy to recognize where His hand is, or whether it's all His hand--or, if you're like me, you go through life assuming that just by being here, you're messing things up.

I understand that that's a grave lie, but whether or not one accepts the doctrine of original sin, it's hard to escape the fact that by our flaws we are constantly out of balance and harmony--with each other, with nature, even with ourselves. I have discovered the tremendous value of simply being brave enough to take the steps that may restore the balance. It is always worth trying, whether or not my results are perceptible to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment