Sunday, March 12, 2017

Aging

"Mist and snow blot out the world.
Bony trees are thinly fleshed with ice.
A couple laughs below a stone monument,
But behind a bristled hedge,
A lone woman sings a dirge.
Old age is lonely.
Dreams of those I've buried haunt me.
Was I ever ready to shoulder this mantle?
It smothered a carefree youth.
Now neither parent, lover, nor friends have I,
And great fame is as distant as spring's leaves."

Having witnessed such death at such a young age, I often pray God now not to be done with me yet. I feel so young, so strong, so capable of so many of the things the friends my own age have already done. I pray indeed that they are still before me, so that my old age will be old, indeed, and perhaps not so lonely after all. 

1 comment:

  1. All of the death witnessing & mourning & the time spent aching & longing have molded and shaped us. God was creating us vessels renewed. For what follows death-- the resurrection of course. The time is now. God created us for now. It all was for now. We rise! We resurrect!

    ReplyDelete