Monday, November 7, 2016

Childhood

"No. No. No.
This ruins a child."

Curiosity I had in abundance, but I always felt it was controlled. Individuality should have been stressed, but I'm a twin, and the disabled one, so my half of the mirror was cracked. Initiative was curtailed at every turn: "Don't stumble." "Don't embarrass yourself, or us." "Don't be disappointed, or a disappointment." I want to give my children the freedom and courage to try. I want to have enough humility to see clearly what my children can teach me. Though I must sometimes say no to what they do, I'll need the grace to say an unconditional yes to who they are. I pray for that chance, even as I continue to feel the universe withholding it from me. It's the "No" that will ruin me forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment