Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Vulnerabilities

"A warrior takes every person as an adversary.
He sees all their vulnerable points,
And trains to eliminate his own.
A sage has no vulnerable points."

I was thinking earlier of how it seems to me that any fear, when confronted with honest and genuine curiosity, can be lessened. When Lou Reed died, Laurie Anderson said, his eyes were full of wonder. I learned from that: If I'm scared, but asking questions, then that is good. If I stop for further fear of the consequences, how can I become strong? Yet here is this paradox for a disabled person. Yes, I am strong. But the weakness the world sees, for me, is no weakness at all. From it I draw my strength, having gotten curious about how my body is and what it does that is different. I embrace it beyond a dichotomy of good and evil, strong and weak, beautiful or ugly. I always wonder, what more? What further aspects are beyond what's with me now? Where there is growth in wonder and curiosity, fear cannot stay.



No comments:

Post a Comment