Friday, September 19, 2014

Day 34 - #37

"Eternal Tao doesn't do anything,
yet it leaves nothing undone.
If you abide by it, everything
in existence will transform itself.

When, in the process of self-transformation,
desires are aroused, calm them with
nameless simplicity.
When desires are dissolved in the primal presence,
peace and harmony naturally occur,
and the world orders itself."

Despite my Catholicism, despite my attraction to the Rosary and other such ritualistic, repetitive prayers, I am not and never have been what you might call a pious woman. I've always feared going through the motions, as if I could follow some agenda in order to get into Heaven.

Perhaps knowing all along how heavily my heart's desire would weigh on me, as soon as ever I'd learned it I loved the story of Hannah from the Old Testament. Yet somehow I've always been too ashamed of myself to follow her example. Instead I've tried pouring out my heart to God in stillness, hoping sincerity can do for me what piety cannot, if only because I feel I have failed at the latter.

I know God will find a way to use my failure, if only because I'm not Hannah; I'm me.

No comments:

Post a Comment