Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Totality

"Those who consider their path superior are condescending.
A parrot who speaks of the totality of the self is absurd.
Many paths lead to the summit,
But it takes a whole body to get there."

Along the path of my faith life, I have been seen as both humble and self-righteous, God-centered and self-centered, wise and foolish. What I have always been, from my own point of view, at least, is fearful and ashamed, but willing to learn. So much of that learning has been learning to let go. This is most of what we hear in popular spirituality these days, too, but I've recently been reflecting that the most important thing to let go of is holding my own sin as so unutterably unforgivable by God; that's not only ridiculously prideful, but also just plain ridiculous. His mercy is to all, and for all, who totally and completely ask. Even me!

No comments:

Post a Comment