Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Optimal

"If you are best in the morning,
Cultivate Tao in the morning.
If you are best in the evening,
Cultivate Tao in the evening."

Having grown up with the charge to, "Always do your best," it was a slow and painful revelation to me that one's circumstances do not always match one's efforts. In an effort in turn to mitigate those disappointments, I feel I am always searching for the optimal time to get things done--eating, working, praying, even sleeping. At a time when, despite lingering disappointment and pain, my life truly is better than it ever has been, I finally find myself with the resources not only to search for, but finally to find, my best. Recently I got a fortune cookie which, when I opened it, read: The best years of your life are ahead of you. As silly as the source may sound, for once--just once--I was willing to believe it. I still hope for it enough to keep searching, and perchance, at last, to find and embrace the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment