Monday, November 23, 2020

72. Natural Spirituality

 "Do not try to teach

religion to your children.

Teach them instead

to marvel at the wonder

of life in all its manifestations.

A natural spirituality will be born

and grow within their hearts.

Trying to teach religion

creates dependence

upon the words of others.

If your children depend

upon their own experience,

they will never go astray.


I served as a clergyman

for two decades of my life.

I know for certain that religion

is as different from natural spirituality

as night is

from the light of day.

Never worry

about your children's souls.

Your child's soul

belongs to the Tao

and is the one reality in life

that is beyond all danger,

always."


I want to raise my daughter to know her own mind, so that she can protect it fiercely. I grew up so paralyzed by self-doubt that I could barely make decisions or accept good things that came my way. I was convinced I deserved only the bad. Even now, when I experience conscious moments of ease and joy I get scared and suspicious. I worry. I am grateful not to fear struggle, but I need to welcome blessings, too. In my daughter I see them all. I know she will know both blessings and struggles I never have. May she greet everything more readily and bravely than I ever have. 


No comments:

Post a Comment