Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Outlook

"Spawned from a mountain cataract,
The long river surges to the sea.
Its torrents savage its igneous bed,
Yet one blade of rock twists it tightly.
Angry waves plow stone furrows into a maze,
And boats find it difficult to maneuver.
From this point, one man held off an entire army,
And poets found inspiration among nests of eagles."

There is a saying I find helpful, "What you focus on grows." At the same time, I think it's worth distinguishing between the foci I choose and the ones brought to my attention by, well, life, the universe, and everything. In those cases, I suppose, how much attention I give them is my choice, and there is the responsibility to discern the purpose of whatever, or whoever, shows up. I recognize that I am in a time of my life that means skill-gathering--as I look back over the many experiences I've had and all the work I've tried to do, I can bring forward the many parts and pieces that have served me well. Each moment of life, even in frightening times like these, does not always have to be new and bewildering. If knowledge is power, then experience is the tool. I can use both together to continue to find my way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment