Sunday, July 31, 2016

Spring

"Sun and moon divide the sky,
Fragrance blooms on pear wood bones:
Earth awakens with a sigh.
Wanderer revels on the path alone."

I have always marveled at the use of the same word for the blooming season as for a leaping motion. It reminds me that the seasons of everyone's life are different. At marriage I was self-conscious about being an "old maid" bride; when my children are born their arrivals will be stained with the stigma of "advanced maternal age." And yet, I face life now with as much if not more energy than in my younger years. Especially lately, whenever I tell my age, people are surprised: "You look younger," they say. "I thought you were in your late twenties." I wouldn't be entirely honest if I said this wasn't a relief, but a little positive reinforcement goes a long way when one walks an unusual path in life. Slowly I am learning to revel in it, indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment