Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Accumulation

"An opening in the storming sea,
Gold deposited on bones.
Once accumulation has begun,
Take care not to interfere."

Not long after I had come to L.A., I went to see a friend for a reiki treatment. During the course of our session she would comment on some insights she was getting from her energy work. I remember that she said, "I'm getting a sense of accumulation...Nesting...You have a strong urge to be a mother." Later, "Maybe you're like a salmon. They always come home to breed." The latter, said lightheartedly, nevertheless gave me food for thought, as well as hope for the future family I had always dreamed of. At that point I was just about a year and a half away from starting my relationship with the man I would marry. And I made a discovery that accumulation in life is not always a bad thing; throughout my travels, as a way to deal with moving on from experiences, from disappointments, from grief, I'd always pared down. It's still usually my first instinct. But I saw with this friend for the first time that thoughtful acquisition, cultivation, and keeping can bring us the right things for a good and holy reason: As I read in my prayers daily, "that we may love all things for Your sake, and You above all things."

No comments:

Post a Comment