Friday, September 9, 2016

Resources

"Use a mirror in difficult times:
You will see both cause and resolution."

I sometimes think I take ownership and responsibility to a fault. It's ironic that by letting go a little, I can gain better self-control, but this is the thing: There are so many platitudes about picking battles, enough on one's plate, or or a line in the sand that it can be incredibly difficult to see how sometimes, one's relationship to another must be considered. As highly as individual responsibility and choice are valued in America, the impact of individual folks' collective and interrelated action cannot be ignored. Scarcity--whether of money, time, manpower, or anything else--is only a myth that gives us permission not to share. Not sharing limits one's choices of how, or if, to respond to any given situation. Limitations bind, rather than facilitating letting go. Letting go can end some relationships, but it can also begin others. If I start with myself but allow the focus to shift, I can consider others more carefully, understanding that there is always interplay, give and take, energy exchanged. For better or for worse, what shifts is never the same again. I must guard my energy with care, applying myself as matters unfold and challenges present themselves. Sometimes these are not to be sought, but met with abundant deliberation. Understanding what's at stake requires the deepest self-reflection.  Recognizing that it's not all about--or not all on--me is the beginning of liberation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment