Saturday, December 5, 2020

77. Never Seek to Triumph Over Your Children

 "Parents who follow the Tao,

never seek to triumph

over their children.


They have no need of winning

to protect their position.

Their position is secure.

Nor do they let their children

triumph over them.

This would harm their children.


Winning and losing

have no meaning

to such parents.

They always find the balance

between too much

and too little.

No one is afraid of them.

They are afraid of no one.


There are times,

especially when they are young,

that we must impose our will

upon our children.

But do so only for their safety.

It is all too easy

to use our size and power

to intimidate our children

and get our way.

This does not teach the Tao."


The way I see it, my children are my triumph. They are my way. Why would I try to best them, or get in their way? For me to intimidate the people I love who have opened my heart the most, challenged me to love the most and be my best, would be a sin indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment