Monday, October 20, 2014

Day 65 - #65

"In ancient times those who practiced Tao
didn't want to enlighten people,
but to keep them natural and simple.

When cleverness and intellect abound,
people don't do well.
A leader who governs with cleverness
cheats his people.
A leader who governs with simplicity
is a blessing to his people.

These are the two alternatives.
Understanding them is subtle insight.
The use of subtle insight brings
all things back into the oneness."

How can I explain my longing for a son? To some, I'm just a Catholic girl in a sexist, patriarchal, paternalistic society. To me--well, I'm just a curious girl who stumbled young upon her parents' copy of The Prophet: "Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself."

Longing for itself, indeed. That this son or daughter could come through me--independent and fully realized in his or her own right? A miracle. A growing miracle. Of course. And that's exactly why I've always counted myself blessed to wonder more: who my children are than how; where they will come from than when they will arrive. Still, the pain of waiting for them has been no less. I only hope that, while they are here, they will know life's longing and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment